Toronto – The 2012 NLL Draft at the Toronto Westin Harbour Castle is now complete. A total of 56 players heard their name called at the 2012 NLL Entry Draft at the Westin Harbour Castle in Toronto on Monday night. As expected, the Edmonton Rush selected Mark Matthews, the consensus top-rated prospect out of Denver University, with the first overall pick.
The Minnesota Swarm held an NLL-record four first-round draft picks, including the second, third, and fourth-overall selections. The Swarm used their trio of picks to draft Brock Sorenson (Ohio State University), Kiel Matisz (Robert Morris University) and Shayne Jackson (Limestone College).
2012 NLL Hall of Fame inductee Steve Dietrich, entering his first season as GM of the Buffalo Bandits, drafted Dhane Smith (Kitchener, ON) with the fifth-overall selection.
The Calgary Roughnecks then selected Joe Resetarits (University of Albany) and Matthew Dinsdale (Coquitlam, BC) back-to-back with the sixth and seventh selections. Edmonton drafted Curtis Knight (Whitby, ON) with their second selection of the night, the Colorado Mammoth then chose Colton Clark (Bellarmine University) with the ninth-overall pick, while Minnesota closed out the first round by selecting Alex Crepinsek (RIT).
Seven draftees, including four second-rounders, hailed from Orangeville, ON, an area long-known for their rich lacrosse tradition.
Three first-round picks have family ties to the NLL. Brock Sorensen’s brother Kyle plays for Washington, Dhane Smith is the cousin of Bandits defenseman Billy Dee Smith, while Joe Resetarits’ brother Frank played for both the Bandits and Stealth.
The 2011 NLL Champion Rochester Knighthawks had to wait until the third round to draft Robbie Campbell (Stony Brook University) with their first pick at 26th overall, while the Philadelphia Wings were the final NLL team to make their first selection, tabbing Michael Manley (Duke University) in the fourth round (32nd overall). Wings boss Johnny Mouradian, well-known for his preference of American-born players, added two more NCAA players in the later rounds.
The Toronto Rock were the only team to select a goaltender, drafting Tyler Glebe (London, ON), in the sixth round (52nd overall).
The full Draft results are as follows:
1. Edmonton – Mark Matthews (Denver University)
2. Minnesota – Brock Sorenson (Ohio State University)
3. Minnesota – Kiel Matisz (Robert Morris University)
4. Minnesota – Shayne Jackson (Limestone College)
5. Buffalo – Dhane Smith (Kitchener, ON)
6. Calgary – Joe Resetarits (University of Albany)
7. Calgary – Matthew Dinsdale (Coquitlam, BC)
8. Edmonton – Curtis Knight (Whitby, ON)
9. Colorado – Colton Clark (Bellarmine University)
10. Minnesota – Alex Crepinsek (Rochester Institute of Technology)
11. Washington – Tyler Garrison (Coquitlam, BC)
12. Washington – Billy Hostrawser (Orangeville, ON)
13. Buffalo – Hayden Smith (Orangeville, ON)
14. Toronto – Bradley Kri (Orangeville, ON)
15. Edmonton – Michael Cudmore (University of Hartford)
16. Buffalo – Jordan Critch (Orangeville, ON)
17. Calgary – Jackson Decker (Burnaby, BC)
18. Buffalo – Carter Bender (University of Hartford)
19. Washington – Justin Pychel (Six Nations, ON)
20. Toronto – Mike Lum-Walker (Whitby, ON)
21. Washington – Mitch Jones (Orangeville, ON)
22. Buffalo – Kevin Brownell (Robert Morris University)
23. Washington – Tim Henderon (Army)
24. Minnesota – Sam Bradman (Salisbury College)
25. Toronto – Kyle Pereira (Brampton, ON)
26. Rochester – Robbie Campbell (Stony Brook University)
27. Toronto – Kyle Belton (Stony Brook University)
28. Edmonton – Michael Burke (Brampton, ON)
29. Rochester – Cody Hawkins (Delta, BC)
30. Washington – TJ Cowx (Mars Hill)
31. Buffalo – Joel Matthews (University of Detroit Mercy)
32. Philadelphia – Michael Manley (Duke University)
33. Edmonton* – Simon Giourmetakis (Canisius College)
34. Toronto – Dustin Caravello (Orangeville, ON)
35. Edmonton* – Mitchell Bannister (Okotokes, AB)
36. Calgary – Chad Cummings (Kitchener, ON)
37. Minnesota* – Tyler Tanguay (Adrian College)
38. Rochester – Matt Hummel (Mercyhurst University)
39. Philadelphia – CJ Costabile (Duke University)
40. Buffalo – Wenster Green (Six Nations, ON)
41. Philadelphia – Kevin Randall (University of Notre Dame)
42. Minnesota – Bryan Campbell (Brock University)
43. Toronto – Robert Koger (Georgetown University)
44. Colorado – Jaden Gastaldo (Burnaby, BC)
45. Calgary – Kyle Dexter (Calgary, AB)
46. Minnesota* – Matt Gibson (Yale University)
47. Rochester – Chris Attwood (St. Catharines, ON)
48. Washington – Kyle Buchanan (Robert Morris University)
49. Minnesota** – Michael Teeter (Victoria, BC)
50. Calgary – Curtis Pridham (Calgary, AB)
51. Minnesota – Chris Cudmore (Mars Hill College)
52. Toronto – Tyler Glebe (London, ON)
53. Colorado – Alex Demopoulos (University of Denver)
54. Calgary – Myles Dennett (Calgary, AB)
55. Edmonton – Kyle Goodchild (University of Hartford)
56. Rochester – Cody McLeod (Orangeville, ON)
* The Minnesota Swarm traded the 33rd & 35th overall selections in the 2012 Draft to the Edmonton Rush in exchange for the 37th & 46th overall selections and Edmonton’s 3rd round selection in the 2013 Draft.
** The Calgary Roughnecks traded the 49th overall selection in the 2012 Draft to the Minesota Swarm in exchange for Minnesota’s 6th round selection in the 2013 Draft.
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.