MACON, Ga. – Old Dominion’s Connor Carson and Jacksonville’s Brittney Orashen were honored for their stellar play with this week’s Atlantic Sun Women’s Lacrosse weekly awards, the league office announced on Tuesday.
Carson earns her first Atlantic Sun Player of the Week honor after leading the Monarchs to two road wins in conference play last week. The midfielder from Charlottesville, Va. recorded a hat trick in the first game of the week at Mercer. Carson also showed her skill on the defensive side with two caused turnovers and controlled the draw circle for ODU with seven draw controls. Two days later, Carson helped her team defeat Kennesaw State contributing on both ends once again. She scored two goals and picked up five draw controls. Her effort on the defensive end helped Old Dominion shut out Kennesaw State for the final 33 minutes of the game. Carson finished the week with six ground ball pick ups and 12 draw controls. Her shot-on-goal percentage was 70 percent in both games combined.
Orashen collects her fifth career Atlantic Sun weekly honor, second of the 2015 season after guiding Jacksonville to big home conference wins this past week. In the first game against Detroit, Orashen secured six ground balls and caused three turnovers as the Dolphins stifled the Titans attack holding them to just seven goals. She also added an attacking element by scoring four goals, including her 100th career tally as a Dolphin. In the following match against Furman, Orashen once again was the catalyst to the Dolphins defense as they only allowed five goals, one in the second half. Orashen added a ground ball and a caused turnover to her tally. She finished the week with seven ground ball pick ups, four caused turnovers and three draw controls.
Atlantic Sun Women’s Lacrosse Player of the Week – Apr. 7th
Connor Carson, Old Dominion
Sophomore | Midfield
Charlottesville, Va. | Education
– First Career Atlantic Sun Player of the Week honor
– Helped Old Dominion to two Atlantic Sun conference road wins last week
– Totaled five goals offensively in both games combined, including a hat trick against Mercer
– Finished the week with six ground balls and controlled the draw circle with 12 draw controls
– Added two caused turnovers to her conference leading tally; ranks 27th in the NCAA in category
– Only needed seven shots on goal to score five goals last week
Other Nominees: Tessa Keuler, Detroit; Aria Williams, Howard; Sally Holbert, Jacksonville; Monica Albertson, Kennesaw State; Kate Leone, Mercer; Hallie Merz, Stetson
Atlantic Sun Women’s Lacrosse Defensive Player of the Week – Apr. 7th
Brittney Orashen, Jacksonville
Senior | Midfielder
Lebanon, N.J. | Business
– Fifth Career Atlantic Sun Defensive Player of the Week; second this season
– Combined for seven ground balls in two conference wins for Jacksonville last week
– Opened the week with three draw controls and three caused turnovers in win against Detroit
– Led Dolphins defense in second game against Furman, allowing only one goal in second half
– Helped on the offensive end by scoring five goals, including 100th career goal
– Ranks in the top-five in the A-Sun in ground balls, caused turnovers and draw controls
Other Nominees: Lexie McCormick, Detroit; Morgan Gallagher, Old Dominion; Erin Busch, Stetson
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.