MACON, Ga. – Furman’s Paige Gamble and Stetson’s Whitney Meyers took home this week’s Atlantic Sun Women’s Lacrosse weekly awards, the league office announced on Tuesday.
Gamble earns her first Atlantic Sun Player of the Week honor after leading the Paladins to two conference wins last week. She began the week with a new school-record performance of seven goals in a victory over Kennesaw State. The sophomore only needed 10 shots to score her seven goals. She also added an assist for eight total points. Gamble then showed off her all-around game in the win over Mercer by collecting five ground balls and causing three turnovers. For the week, Gamble also controlled the draw circle with a team-high eight draw controls, helping the Paladins go on scoring runs. 12 of her 16 combined shots were on target for a 75.0 percent shot-on-goal percentage.
Meyers picks up her first career Atlantic Sun Defensive Player of the Week award after shining in goal for Stetson last week. In the conference opener, Meyers made 11 saves as the Hatters defeated Howard. She also collected four ground balls to help out her defense as she saved 50.0 percent of her shots. The Hatters then travelled to Old Dominion, the second highest scoring team in the conference. Meyers made a season-high 16 saves, while stopping 55.2 percent of the shots she faced. She also picked up five ground balls, giving her nine for the week. She held the potent Monarch attack to just five goals in the second half. Meyers took over the lead in the A-Sun with 99 total saves on the season.
Atlantic Sun Women’s Lacrosse Player of the Week – Mar. 31st
Paige Gamble, Furman
Sophomore | Midfield/Attack
– First Career Atlantic Sun Player of the Week honor
– Helped Furman to 2-0 start to Atlantic Sun conference play last week
– Scored a school-record seven goals in conference opener over Kennesaw State
– Only needed 10 shots to score seven goals, with all 10 shots going on target
– Finished the week with a team-high eight draw controls, seven against KSU
– Picked up five ground balls and caused three turnovers in win over Mercer
Other Nominees: Tessa Keuler, Detroit; Rachel Aus, Jacksonville; Kate Leone, Mercer; Connor Carson; Lindsay Summers, Stetson
Atlantic Sun Women’s Lacrosse Defensive Player of the Week – Mar. 31st
Whitney Meyers, Stetson
Junior | Goalie
Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla. | Integrative Healtch Science
– First Career Atlantic Sun Defensive Player of the Week
– Combined for 27 saves in leading Stetson to 1-1 start in conference play
– Opened the week with 11 saves and a 50.0 save percentage in win over Howard
– Followed that up with season-high 16 saves in game at Old Dominion, stopping 55.2 percent of shots faced
– Made 11 of her 16 saves in the opening half to keep Stetson close; only allowed five goals in second period
– Combined for nine ground balls to lead the team in that category last week
Other Nominees: Morgan Lear, Detroit; Haley Gray, Furman; K
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.