MACON, Ga. – Jacksonville’s Holly Ventimiglia and Detroit’s Lexie McCormick secured this week’s Atlantic Sun Women’s Lacrosse weekly awards, the league office announced on Tuesday.
Ventimiglia earns her first career Atlantic Sun Player of the Week award after leading the Dolphins to a convincing victory over LaSalle. She led the team in scoring with four goals, including the go-ahead goal in the first half. Ventimiglia added two assists to finish the game with six total points. She totaled six shots and posted an 83.3 shots on-goal percentage in the contest. Ventimiglia converted one of two free position opportunities and now ranks fourth in the A-Sun in that category. She also contributed three ground balls on defense. The Dolphins will play on ESPN3 today when they host Lehigh at 3 p.m.
McCormick collects her fifth career Atlantic Sun Defensive Player of the Week honor after leading Detroit to a 1-1 record last week. In the first game, McCormick made 13 saves and held St. Mary’s to only four goals in 56 minutes of play. Her save percentage was 76.5 in that contest. She followed that up with 13 more saves in a hard fought game against Robert Morris. McCormick and Detroit held Robert Morris to its lowest goal output of the season and fell by just two goals. For the week, McCormick combined for 59.1 save percentage. She leads the Atlantic Sun with 73 total saves and ranks fourth in save percentage at 49.3.
Atlantic Sun Women’s Lacrosse Player of the Week – Mar. 10th
Holly Ventimiglia, Jacksonville
Senior | Attack
Medford, N.Y. | Physical Education
– First Career Atlantic Sun Player of the Week honor
– Led the attack with four goals in 16-7 win over LaSalle in Jacksonville’s only game last week
– Added two assists to reach six points total in the contest; scored the game-winning goal in man up situation
– Went 1-2 on free position opportunities in win over LaSalle; now ranks fourth in the A-Sun in free position conversions
– Posted a shooting percentage of 66.7 percent and a 83.3 shots on-goal percentage in victory
– Contributed three ground balls on defense; now has seven ground balls on the season
Other Nominees: Kylie Birney, Detroit; Hallie Merz, Stetson
Atlantic Sun Women’s Lacrosse Defensive Player of the Week – Mar. 10th
Lexie McCormick, Detroit
Senior | Goalie
Peterborough, Ontario | Nursing
– Fifth Career Atlantic Sun Defensive Player of the Week
– Combined for 26 total saves, 13 saves in each game, as Detroit went 1-1 last week
– Held St. Mary’s to just four goals with a 76.5 save percentage and 13 total saves
– Followed that up with 13 saves and holding Robert Morris, the top scoring team in the nation to lowest goal output of the season
– Combined for a 59.1 save percentage and 9.30 goals against average in two games
– Leads the conference with 73 total saves this season and ranks fourth in A-Sun with a 49.3 save percentage
Other Nominees: Sam Bauer, Jacksonville; Whitney Meyers, Stetson
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.